Rare program issued in commemoration of the opening of Ewing Field, home of the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League, in 1914. The sixteen-page program features individual portrait images of team owner James Calvin Ewing, PCL president Al Baum, and twenty-four members of the club, including a number of players who later played in the majors: Charles O'Leary, Jay Clarke, Del Howard, Bobby Jones, Walter Schmidt, Al Standridge, Lefty Leifield, and Mike Fitzgerald. Brief biographies of each player are also listed. A centerfold photo pictures the newly built Ewing Field, below which is the caption "Seal's Home For The Next Twenty Years." Unfortunately for local fans, James Ewing sold the Seals immediately following the season and the new owners relocated the Seals back to their old stadium, Recreation Park, in 1915. Ewing Field, which was plagued by issues of fog throughout its existence, partially burned down in 1926 and was eventually demolished in 1938. The program (6 x 9 inches) displays a vertical fold and light staining on the front cover. In Very Good to Excellent condition overall. Reserve $200. Estimate (open).
More items like this:
(Swipe images to see more)