1934-1936 R318 Batter-Up Near Complete Set (184/192)

Sold For: $6,463

Auction Year: 2010 spring

Lot: 549

Rate This Item

Do you have an item like this that you're considering selling?

Do you want to make an offer on this exact item?

Extremely attractive and very rarely seen near-complete set of 1934-1936 R318 Batter-Ups. 60% range from Gd-Vg to Vg-Ex (with a few slightly better); with few exceptions the remaining 40% are in similar condition to the fronts, but with most in technically lower grades only due to minor back damage (a glue mark, a remnant of scrapbook paper, or, in a few cases, writing). This near-complete set of 1934-1936 R318 Batter-Up includes 184 different of the 192 cards in the set, highlighted by fifty-one Hall of Famers, including Dizzy Dean, Rogers Hornsby, Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, and many others. Missing only the following eight cards for completion: #81, 95, 98, 136 Hartnett, 153 Grove, 167, 168, and 184. The R318 Batter-Up set is universally recognized as one of the most significant of all prewar baseball-card issues. Their striking colors, unusual standup design, and rarity compared to other 1930s sets make "Batter-Ups" one of the most fascinating, distinctive, and difficult-to-complete of all sets from the 1930s. These cards are designed with die-cut backgrounds that can be punched out and folded back to allow each card to stand up. Because of this design, many R318s are naturally found in damaged condition, and in many cases are found with the die-cut backgrounds entirely lost. All of the card backgrounds in this collection are complete and intact. Many cards in this set have been downgraded due to various mostly very minor flaws that are naturally associated with this issue, and have an appearance far superior to their technically accurate assigned grades. We have selected nine cards to be graded by PSA. Keys: #1 Berger (Gd), 3 Lopez (Vg), 5 Hubbell (Gd), 6 Terry (Fr-Gd), 8 Bottomley (Gd-Vg), 10 Ferrell (Vg), 14 Traynor (Gd), 16 Hafey (Vg-Ex), 17 Waner (Gd), 21 Vaughn (Pr-Fr), 23 Gomez (Gd-Vg), 24 Averill (Gd-Vg), 25 Cochrane (Gd), 27 Ott (Fr), 28 Foxx (PSA VG-EX 4), 30 Dickey (Fr-Gd), 31 Grove (Fr), 32 Cronin (Gd), 33 Frisch (Vg), 34 Simmons (Gd), 35 Hornsby (Fr-Gd), 36 Lyons (PSA VG-EX 4), 37 Maranville (Gd), 42 Gehringer (Gd-Vg), 45 Lazzeri (Fr-Gd), 57 Greenberg (Gd-Vg), 64 Dean (Fr), 73 Wilson (PSA VG+ 3.5), 77 Manush (Vg), 85 Goslin (evidence of recoloring, otherwise Vg-Ex+), 86 Gomez (Fr), 100 Traynor (PSA VG-EX 4), 111 Hayes/Lyons (PSA EX-MT 6), 113 Averill (PSA VG-EX 4), 115 Andrews/Bottomley (Gd-Vg), 117 Dickey (Fr-Gd), 119 Lyons (trimmed), 122 Lindstrom (evidence of recoloring, otherwise Ex), 124 Appling (Vg), 126 Ferrell (PSA VG-EX+ 4.5), 129 Lombardi (PSA EX 5), 130 Gehringer (Fr), 138 Herman (Vg), 144 Foxx (Gd), 145 Medwick (Gd), 149 Berg (Fr), 156 Durocher (Gd), 157 Waner (Gd), 173 Frisch (Gd-Vg), 179 Bottomley (Vg-Ex), 180 Jackson (evidence of recoloring, otherwise Ex), 183 Cronin (PSA EX 5), and 185 Klein (Vg). This is an exceptionally attractive mid-grade near-complete set of this rare, distinctive, and very substantial 1930s prewar issue, which is highlighted by fifty-one Hall of Famers. Total 184 cards. Reserve $1,000. Estimate $2,500+. SOLD FOR $6,463

More items like this:

(Swipe images to see more)